I had a little eye opener about time in this last week
I like my plate full.
Each morning, I put on the super tight fitting wonder-women vest… and my magician hat… and try to squeeze the impossible into my day.
I grab a quick coffee, haul out my giant “to-do” list, and start looking for all the rabbits I can magically pull out of my hat by the time the sun goes down.
But, the reality is that it’s not pretty.
I end up rushing from one place to another, bouncing from task to task, chasing deadlines like a farmer chasing headless chickens!
But I reassure myself, by telling myself that I’m achieving things by attacking life this way.
And I do.
But at what expense?
What is all this busy activity costing me?
In a nutshell… my wonder-woman-magician-ness [aka: desire to achieve lots of stuff], is riddled with the worms of:
- Raised heartbeats… as I try to make it through the next traffic light to get to where I need to go.
- Wondering if 10 minutes is going to be enough to get to my next meeting, or my boy’s school, or the shops that are about to close.
- Feeling the stress of wanting to send that last email for the day.
- Freaked-out-ness [yes, that’s a word in my world] – as I glance at my to do list… then pouring myself a stiff coffee to get the work cranked out.
- More Freaked-out-ness as I realise that I forgot to meet with someone, all because I was working to another deadline!
- …and…Wonder… Like: “How-am-I-going-to-tackle-that-extra-task-I-threw-onto-my-plate” kind of wonder.
and it needs to stop.
Because I know that my drop and hop nature – not only impacts me – but it impacts others around me… my family, those who work with me and for me.
Because it is not leaving me inspired. It’s not leaving me feeling like I give my all to each task. It’s not me feeling like I’m operating out of a place of ease.
Basically… It isn’t talking to my values, and it isn’t leaving my life richer.
But what do I cut out?
This Plate of life needs a little diet maybe?
Surely something has to give?
Do I need to cut out whole aspects of who I am… Maybe take a Tim Noakes approach?
Or… do I look at how I arrange the plate…
Then I stumbled onto this video [thanks Jess]:
So… what I realised about time this week:
We went away last weekend… and it gave me some time to stop, think about how my life / time plays out… and I realised that:
- If I like my plate full… the chances are that my plate will probably always be full [it’s in my nature, and I need to relax about it].
- BUT [a big but…] I need to be more conscious about the balance I bring to my plate of life… and start with some big rocks [instead of getting swallowed up by the sand of life]
- I need to remember to focus on what’s important to me… finding time to Live life to the full with what I have
- I don’t have to cut out the fun… the passion… the life changing and soul satisfying stuff… I just need to find pockets of time to do what I love!
- Whilst I’m finding pockets… I also need to allow for space in my life… to relax… and be… and let life happen!
Basically… I need balance.
So… in an attempt to rock those 5 things above… I am doing the following:
- Work out my big rocks for the week…
- Find people to help me tackle my big rocks [because I can’t do everything on my own]!
- Plan enough time to minimise the last minute rush [and give myself a few more minutes to get from A to B]
- Make a little space [and a lot more time] to do things that build ME
- Write this post [because maybe… just maybe… you needed to read it???]!
How is your plate looking?